Interior decoration accessories are gaining popularity among Chinese product importers, hence the importance of knowing how to import home decoration. Chinese online shopping websites offer almost any type of such items, including mirrors, pictures, picture frames, pillows, blankets, sheets, curtains, and many more. The profitability of their import is due to the relatively low price and low duty rates of these products. How to import home decoration from China?
Production centers for home decoration in China
Most of the home decoration manufacturers in China are located in Guangdong province, in cities such as Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Zhongshan and Foshan. Many of them are also concentrated in Qingdao (Shandong province), Quanzhou (Fujian), as well as Jinhua and Ningbo (Zhejiang). When looking for a provider, it is also worth checking the offers from Baoding City (Hebei).
Import home decor from China – tax rates
Before starting the import, it is advisable to check the tariff rates imposed on the chosen products. You can find customs duty rates on goods imported to the United States or from other countries on their corresponding websites. Just enter their name in the search bar or, if you know them, the first 4 or 6 digits of their code. Import rates for products from China are presented in the “General” column. Below, we have compiled for you a list of some home decor items with their tax rates for importing home decor.
– Cotton pillows, cushions and similar items (9404.90.10) – 5.3%
– Cotton travel rugs and blankets (6301.30.00) – 8.4%
– Wooden furniture of a kind used in the bedroom, bentwood furniture (9403.50.40) – 0%
– Mattress supports (9404.10.00) – 0%
– Framed Glass Mirror (7009.92.10) – 7.8%
– Paintings, drawings and pastels (9701.10.00) – 0%
– Wooden frames for paintings, photographs, mirrors or similar objects (4414.00.00) – 3.9%
– Electric table, desk, bedside or floor lamps (9405.20.40) – 3.7%
– Calendars of any kind, printed, including calendar blocks (4910.00.20) – 0%
– Wall clocks, electrically operated, with optoelectric display only (9105.21.40) – 3.9% on movement and case + 5.3% on battery
– Blown glass vases (9902.14.82) – 0%
– Statuettes and other ornamental articles of ceramic, Chinese porcelain (6913.10.10) – 0%
– Original sculptures and statues, in any material (9703.00.00) – 0%
– Unglazed glass ceramic cookware (7013.10.10) – 6.9%
As you can see, the tariff rates for home decor items imported from China to the US are relatively low, which affects their profitability. Please note that when importing products into the US, taxes are only required to be paid on orders valued at $ 800 or more. Therefore, if the total amount of assets does not exceed $ 800, these assets are tax-free. However, this exemption does not include alcoholic beverages, perfumes containing alcohol, and cigars or cigarettes.
Requirements to import home decor to the United States
Unlike the European Union, which establishes its requirements for imported products in harmonized standards or directives, there is no such standardized law in the USA. However, depending on the product, compliance with the regulations of specific mandatory compliance. CBP (Customs and Border Protection) can examine any shipment to the US to verify if the goods are safe to cross the border. Therefore, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with their policies and ensure that the products meet the relevant requirements.
Different agencies regulate the requirements for the importation of goods to the US, depending on their type. For example, the US Department of Energy, among others, is responsible for household appliances. When importing into the US, it is also worth getting acquainted with the CPSC Organization, which cooperates with CBP on import safety.
Products under the jurisdiction of the CPSC must be tested to verify compliance with the safety requirements established by the organization.
However, there are some basic regulations pertaining to all imported goods that are imported from abroad into the US The required documentation should include:
– A Commercial invoice of the exporter;
– Packing list;
– Freight guide (B / L, BOL) – for maritime transport;
– Air waybill (AWB): for air transport;
– Entry manifest (CBP form 7533).
Importers must ensure that they have a complete set of documents that allow their products to pass through customs clearance, which refers to each package that crosses the border.
Home decoration trade shows in China
One of the best methods to find a supplier from China is to attend a trade fair. Such a possibility allows you to test the products and speak personally with the suppliers. This is an excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with the different offers and negotiate with the manufacturers.
Below is a list of trade shows during which articles for how to import home decor are featured in their categories.
Canton Fair (China Import and Export Fair)
* The oldest and largest fair in China, divided into three phases. Most of the home décor items are featured during phase 2, such as ceramics and glassware, clocks, and others. However, phase 1 includes lighting equipment, while phase 3 focuses on home textiles, rugs, and various decorative fabrics.
* Official website: http://www.cantonfair.org.cn/
China (Shenzhen) International Gifts, Crafts, Watches & Housewares Fair
* One of the most anticipated trade shows in China.
* This event attracts importers interested in home decor items, such as textiles, decorative items and many more.
Intertextile Shanghai Home Textiles
China International Lighting Fair (Guzhen)
* The China International Lighting Fair offers a wide selection of lighting, from floor lamps to pendant lamps to the smallest – desk lamps.
East China Fair
* A popular trade fair with importers, dedicated to lighting, home textiles, consumer goods, art deco gifts, fashion, and more.
* This event has been organized for several decades.
Importing home decor from China to the US – overview
Importing home decor items from China to the United States is profitable, mainly due to low product prices and low tariff rates. However, it must be taken into account that the importer must ensure that the goods comply with the applicable requirements and have all the mandatory documents. Before starting the import, we also strongly recommend and recommend verifying your business partner.