The Chinese pet accessories market has grown in recent years and continues to develop. The manufacturers of these products aim to please their consumers by offering various supplies for animals, such as beds, toys, clothing and food. Chinese smart pet products are also gaining popularity due to their innovation and convenience. In this article, we cover all aspects of importing pet accessories from China to the EU. Check your production areas, tariff rates, importers’ obligations and more.
Pet accessories production areas in China
When looking for a supplier of any product in China, it is always best to check the most important manufacturing areas for the product. Depending on the specification of pet accessories, there are some disparate production regions; each one specialized in some categories.
The city of Shanghai offers a wide variety of pet products, such as beds, cat and dog supplies, and grooming supplies. Many manufacturers of animal accessories are located in Guangdong province. There, Shenzhen specializes in smart products, while Dongguan and Guangzhou specialize in dog supplies.
Zhejiang Province companies have a wide selection of beds, scratching posts, other toys, and pet clothing in their assortment. Most of its factories are located in Ningbo and Hangzhou cities. Be sure to check out the animal clothing deals in Suzhou, the city of Jiangsu province. If you are especially interested in cat supplies and cat lovers, Qingdao in Shandong Province is the right address.
Also read our article Cargo Insurance: What is it and why do I need it?
Importation of pet accessories to the EU: types of duties
Before importing any product from China, you need to check their tariff rates and, if you don’t know, HS codes. Both pieces of information are crucial for customs clearance. It is a mandatory process if you plan to sell your products on the EU market. You can find the updated tariff rates for each item together with its HS code in the TARIC system. Tariffs for imported products from China are under the “ERGA OMNES”.
We have compiled a list of customs fees for some of the pet supplies:
* Saddlery and harnesses for any animal (including tracks, leashes, knee pads, muzzles, blankets, saddlebags, dog coats and the like), of any material (4201000090) – 2.7%
* Brushes for grooming animals (9603909100) – 3.7%
* Food for dogs or cats (2309109000): in this case, the situation is more complicated because the type of right on food for animals changes according to its composition; some of them may reach – 9.6%
* Plastic toys (9503003500) – 4.7%
* Ceramic animal bowls (6912008190) – 5%
Requirements for importing pet accessories into the EU
One of the duties of an importer is to familiarize himself with the requirements of the target market for the chosen products. There are no designated mandatory regulations regarding all types of pet accessories in the EU. When it comes to such products, they may differ depending on your specifications, such as materials or intended use. Some of them may have to comply, for example, with Directive 2001/95 / EC on general product safety.
What are the other requirements that may apply to the pet products you want to import?
The REACH Regulation
The REACH Regulation covers goods that collectively contain one ton or more of chemicals per year. It has been implemented to minimize the negative impact of chemicals in production on human health and the natural environment. It applies to various products, from garments and textiles, through electronic devices and plastic products, to machines and many others. According to the REACH Regulation, importers of such products must register them in the REACH database and inform ECHA (European Chemicals Agency) of their safe use.
Requirements for importing pet food
Importers of animal accessories are also often interested in importing pet food. However, it must be borne in mind that such products must meet many mandatory requirements regarding their safety. These supplies are regulated by the European Federation of the Pet Food Industry (FEDIAF). Pet food must not contain any ingredient or additive that could endanger the health or life of animals. Therefore, it is essential to familiarize yourself with all applicable directives and regulations.
We have listed the most important pet food regulations in the EU below:
* Directive 2002/32 / CE on undesirable substances in animal feed;
* Regulation (EU) 2017/625 on official controls and other official activities carried out to guarantee the application of the legislation on food and feed, standards on animal health and welfare, plant health and phytosanitary products;
* Regulation (CE) 178/2002 which establishes the general principles and requirements of food legislation, creates the European Food Safety Authority and establishes the procedures for food safety;
* Regulation (CE) 183/2005 establishing the requirements for feed hygiene;
* Regulation (EU) 142/2011 which establishes the sanitary regulations regarding animal by-products and derived products not intended for human consumption;
* Regulation (CE) 1831/2003 on additives for use in animal feed;
* Regulation (EC) 767/2009 on the marketing and use of feed;
* Regulation (CE) 999/2001 establishing the rules for the prevention, control and eradication of certain transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.
CE mark and declaration of conformity
Most pet supplies. You will not need a CE mark and the corresponding documents. This obligation refers only to electronic animal products.
Technological development has even reached the pet products industry. We noticed that more innovative accessories for animals appear on the market, for example, collars with GPS, self-cleaning litter boxes or even beds with air conditioning. Although these products may cause a sensation in some international markets, it must be remembered that they have to comply with more safety requirements.
As mentioned above, in the case of all electronic products, you will need to obtain a CE mark and documents about it. Before importation, it must be tested and verified whether these products meet the applicable safety and quality requirements. After that, you will receive a document confirming compliance – test reports, which allows the certification body to issue a CE Certificate. After obtaining the test reports and CE Certificate, the manufacturer issues the Declaration of Conformity. The complete set of these three documents enables the CE marking of products to be affixed.
Pet accessories trade shows in China
When deciding what to import, the next step is to find a reliable supplier. There are two ways to do it. You can visit one of the Chinese B2B sites, where many companies promote and sell their products, or attend a trade show in China. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. However, visiting a trade fair in China allows you to check the quality of the products on the spot, speak with the supplier in person, and get your questions answered immediately. It is also a better option regarding negotiations.
Get to know some of the pet products trade shows in China:
Asia pet fair
Location: Shanghai New International Exhibition Center (SNIEC)
China (Guangzhou) International Pet Industry Fair
Location: Poly World Trade Center
Beijing International Pet Products Exhibition
Location: China International Exhibition Center
Importing Pet Accessories From China To The EU – Overview
* Considering the many areas of production of pet accessories in China, its innovation and relatively low duty rates, its import can benefit you.
* Remember that although there are no specific regulations that consider all these products in the EU, some of them must still meet the safety and quality requirements.
* For pet accessories, see the REACH Regulation and Directive 2001/95 / EC.
* Smart products must have a CE mark and the relevant documents: test reports, the CE certificate and the declaration of conformity.
* The European Federation of the Pet Food Industry strictly regulates pet food.
* If you are interested in importing pet accessories from China to the EU, please check out one of the related trade shows in China.
* Always check your supplier before making payment to make sure they are reliable and that the products meet your expectations.